We were in Spain and had Croquetas nearly every day. Everyone had different Croquetas but we especially liked the ones made with a béchamel. All of the recipes I could find where written in a way that seems to follow a laborious production technique. This simplifies things quite a bit
The final béchamel was very loose but it held together well and gave a very creamy texture. I wouldn’t change anything.
- 4T butter
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1C Flour
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Quart Milk
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 8oz Mushrooms
- Flour for breading
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Bread Crumbs
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 20 Threads of Saffron
- Sauté finely chopped onions in butter and olive oil on medium until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and stir until they release the liquid and it dries up.
- Add Salt, Nutmeg and Saffron.
- Slowly add milk while stirring.
- Continue stirring for 5 minutes, don’t walk away.
- Chill in fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Form into log shapes.
- Dredge in flour, egg and bread crumbs.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes and serve