This was my first attempt at a Molé and it was an absolute success. I started by looking at the top 10 Molé recipes on the internet, massaging the ingredients to my taste and then writing the steps to simplify the process. This couldn’t be easier and will definitely be done again very soon. Delish!
Mexicanish Molé Sauce
- 2 Quarts chicken broth
- 4 dried guajillo chiles stemmed and seeded
- 4 dried ancho chiles stemmed and seeded
- 6 dried chipotle meco chiles stemmed and seeded
- 6 dried chipotle pastilla chiles stemmed and seeded
- 4 Flour tortillas
- 4 corn tortillas
- 6 to matoes
- 15 to matillos
- 1 tablespoon lard or shortening
- 2 onions halved
- 1/2 head garlic pealed
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 18 ounces abuelita Mexican chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 tomatoes
- Toast all the spices and dry chiles with the lard or shortening in a large pot. Add chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the spices are simmering, in a wide pan, caramelize the onion, tomatillos, tomatoes and garlic.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients.
- Combine with the chillies stew for 5 hours on low.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.