Refried Beans is traditionally made with pork lard which is delicious just the way it is. We’re in quarantine right now and I couldn’t get myself to the store just to by lard so we had to use what’s on hand. Refried beans made with just oil or butter gives a decidedly beanie flavor and I had some rendered duck fat left over from making Duck Confit a few weeks ago.
This recipe was quickly approved by my Wife. Her only feedback was that they were mashed even more. Given this was made in the Instant Pot, it couldn’t have been much easier.
Duck Fat Refried Beans
- Instant Pot
- 2 cups Pinto Beans (About 1 pound)
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 quart Duck Stock
- 1 quart Water
- 1/4 cup Duck Fat
- Combine everything in the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot on High for 1 hour and allow to naturally cool for 15-30 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of liquid from the pot and set it aside.
- Mash it all together until it's the consistency you want. Add back some of the liquid that you took out if you think it's too thick.
- (optoinal) Serve with cheese.