This is a little spin on your off the shelf “Beef & Broccoli”, replacing the broccoli with areomatic Onion. I hadn’t made this since I was 14 or 15. It’s been a while and a great way to use the Top Round on sale at Safeway for $1.99 / lb.
- 1.5 LB Top Round
- 3 LB Onions
- 3 T Corn Starch
- 4 T Soy Sauce
- 1 T Black Pepper
- 2 T Canola Oil
- Slice the top round into strips 1 inch x 0.25 inch x 0.25 inch. Do this by cutting against the bias of the grain to ensure that this inexpensive cut of beef will fall apart when eaten.
- Mix beef with corn starch, soy sauce, and black pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice onions into strips.
- Fry beef in a large pan until golden brown and caramelized on high. Do not crowd the pan -- this is a fry not a boil.
- Throw onions into pan and saute until desired textured.